October 24, 2009

Last year, after graduating, i thought of celebrating the occasion by myself.

After careful consideration of the available alternatives, I decided to hike the Montara Mountain, which lies just 28 miles south of San Francisco.

After an hour of bus ride from San Francisco, I reached the small town of Montara. Since it was already evening by then, I headed off to the montara lighthouse to spend the night there.

It was a cold and breezy night but I had one of the best sleeps in a very long time. I cant really describe the fine moment but all i could see and hear were the stars in the sky and the waves in the ocean.

The next morning, after loitering around the beach and the town for a while, I began to walk along Highway 1. It was early afternoon by the time I reached the base of Montara Mountain.


Almost half way up, i couldn't see a soul around. After an hour or so, i reached a point where i couldn't go any further. I couldn't risk hiking further because i had to get back to the base at least before sunset.

I found a cozy place to rest for a while and enjoy the breathtaking view. I took some time to ponder about the moment, and the reason for me celebrate it.

The process of living -- the people and the experiences that shaped my fundamental understanding of myself and the world around me. And all the things i have learned from the situations and circumstances, during my stay in a foreign land, which made me what i am as a person today.

I knew then and there that this would last as one of the finest experiences in my life.....

It's more than a year since that day passed but i still can't explain or put in words that particular feeling I felt that day. It was like everything came to a stand still.

No matter what, time and space can never replace such a feeling.....

-Varűn: 10-25-09

No comments:

Post a Comment